CNN’s John Harwood announces his departure amid a rethink of the news network’s programming

0

CNN White House correspondent John Harwood announced Friday that he is leaving the news network, which is in the process of rethinking its programming strategy under a new leadership team from Warner Bros Discovery.

Harwood, whose career has spanned stints at CNBC, the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, is the second high-profile journalist to leave CNN in recent weeks. Last month, media critic Brian Stelter quit after the network’s new chief executive, Chris Licht, canceled his show Reliable source.

Warner Bros Discovery was formed when Discovery acquired CNN’s parent company WarnerMedia in April. Changes in the network came quickly: Chief Executive David Zaslav shut down streaming platform CNN Plus just weeks after it launched.

Questions about how Warner Bros Discovery would deal with CNN have surfaced since cable TV pioneer John Malone, a major shareholder in the company and a political conservative, criticized the network’s journalism last year.

“I’d like to see CNN go back to the kind of journalism it started out with and actually have journalists, which would be unique and refreshing,” Malone told CNBC in November.

Zaslav later told investors he was “fully committed” to CNN, but noted that it shouldn’t be an “advocacy network.”

“CNN is first and foremost about journalism and that’s what we’re going to fight for,” he said.

Harwood joined CNN in 2020 from CNBC and has been a frequent critic of former US President Donald Trump, whom he called a “dishonest demagogue” in a report Thursday night.

in one tweet On Friday, Harwood, 65, said “today is my last day at CNN,” adding he was excited to “find out what’s next.”

Company officials said CNN will shift from opining to clearer news.

CNN declined to comment on Harwood’s departure. “We appreciate John’s work covering the White House and we wish him well,” the statement read.

Share.

Comments are closed.