The Alberton North family succumbed to electric shocks for years

0

A family in Alberton North has felt an electric shock for years when they shower or wash dishes.

This is the result of an electrical shock causing electrocution that is said to have gotten progressively worse over the years.

It was after a motorist who reportedly lost control of his vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and crashed into the main electrical box at the corner of Piet Retief Street and 6th Avenue.

At the time of the accident in 2018, they reported the incident to the power department to inspect and repair the destroyed box.

According to Yolanda Engelbrecht, the electrical box was not removed, but simply pushed back into what appeared to be the correct position.

“As of this evening we have this current surge issue on our property. I have my elderly parents who live with me and they both feel the current when they need to take a shower, let alone when they’re washing dishes. In the main house it can also be felt in the showers and sinks. Sometimes when you turn on the pool pump it sometimes stutters,” she said.

The main electrical box is located at the corner of Piet Retief Street and 6th Avenue, Alberton North.

Engelbrecht told the RECORD that she had personally escalated the problem to the city administration on several occasions.

She said she was very concerned that the electric current was extremely strong at times and was felt all the time. She also had to dig deep into her pockets after sending a private electrician to investigate the problem.

“The department had also carried out several tests, but this did not improve the situation. Even though the city engineer confirmed to me at the time that the power was coming from outside my property from the main power supply,” Engelbrecht explained.

She reiterated that she had reported the issue to the Council of Europe several times in 2018 and 2019 and only recently, but it is still not resolved.

Intervention of the CoE

City spokesman Zweli Dlamini assured that the Council of Europe would investigate the complaint.

He urged residents to log new incident complaints for calls deemed unresolved but closed in the system.

“The city implemented a new complaint management system, Instructional Management System (IMS), in July 2021, replacing the previous system. Complaints from 2018 are no longer accessible to the city and we cannot find details of complaints originally recorded in the electronic database,” said Dlamini.

The city has meanwhile promised to ensure the supply on the municipal side of the house connection and to inform the complainant of any findings.

“Many factors can cause high voltage. Theft of neutral and ground conductors creates high or low voltage conditions. Wire damage or even consumer installation faults can also contribute to similar electrical problems as described,” he said.

Calls can be logged by calling 086 054 3000 or via the My CoE app.

Share.

Comments are closed.