TPG Telecom sets new world record for 5G video and voice calls

0

Finnish telecom operator Nokia has advocated accelerating digitization and green energy use as it aims to run 100% renewable electricity in its own operations by 2025, rather than having world leaders in Glasgow, Scotland for the United Nations Climate Change Conference ( COP26) have come together.

Together with leading personalities from politics, business and civil society at the conference Nokia President and CEO Pekka Lundmark who called on everyone to accelerate the adoption of green technologies in order to achieve net zero.

“No green without digital. Currently, only 30% of the world economy is digitized and we need to work now to connect the remaining 70% to ensure that the world is net zero, ”said Lundmark. “5G and related technologies play a crucial role in making other industries more sustainable. At the same time, the ICT industry must minimize its footprint and accelerate the use of green electricity. “

In line with its goals, Nokia now aims to achieve 100% of the electricity it purchases from renewable sources by 2025 to power its offices, R&D laboratories and factories.

{loadposition know}

While renewables are not currently available in all 120 countries Nokia operates in, Nokia plans to work with the wider ecosystem to encourage greater use of sustainable electricity.

According to Nokia, digitization is critical to making industries more sustainable – resulting in less waste, more resource efficiency and higher productivity.

In the energy sector, digitalization can help wind farm operators automate offshore wind farms and thus work more productively.

In agriculture, the adoption of digital technologies can increase yields, reduce costs and reduce water consumption.

Throughout manufacturing, moving to smart manufacturing can help ensure annual productivity and energy savings of 10 to 20%.

While recent research suggests that the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated digitization by an average of six years, most of the global economy still lacks access to key digital technologies.

Nokia says it has already committed to reducing its emissions by 50% across its value chain, including its own operations, products used, logistics and final assembly suppliers’ factories, by 2030.

His commitments were made by the Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi) in line with the Paris Agreement goal of limiting global warming to 1.5 ° C.

Since 90% of its emissions result from the use of the products by customers, Nokia continuously invests in improving the energy efficiency of the products – even as capacity increases.

This first appeared in the subscription newsletter CommsWire on November 15, 2021.


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.